Rashi family tree
Each item on this list represents a generation.
- Shlomo ?
- Itzhak TZARFARTI (d. Abt 1060 Worms, Germany) married
sister of R. Simeon the Great of Mainz,
and daughter of Itzhak KALONYMOS (d. 960 Mainz)
son of Rabbi Abun KALONYMOS son of Meshulam KALONYMOS
son of Klonimus KALONYMOS son of Moshe KALONYMOS
(d. 870 Lucca, Italy, d. 940 Mainz, Germany)
son of Kalonymos son of Meshulam KALONYMOS
son of Kalonymos BEN YEHUDA.
Itzhak TZARFARTI rRefused to sell a jewel he owned as a decoration for the Madonna.
Although the local Christians were willing to pay a great price for it,
he preferred to throw it away rather than see it become a part of
idolaterous worship. As a reward, he was granted a son of the calibre of
Rashi, who became a living spirtual jewel.
One day when Rashi's mother was pregnant with him, she was almost run
down by a crusader, but a niche opened up miraculously in a nearby wall and
she was able to shelter there. This wall later become a well-known
-  Rashi: Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac
(b. 1040 Troyes/Champagne, France, d. 1105 Troyes/Champagne, France)
married Batisaak daughter of Isaak BENABUN.
They lived in
France. Rashi wrote well known concise commentary on the bible.
The three daughters were scholars in their own right, helped their
father with his writings, and at least one of which wore tefilin.
-  Jochaved (below)
-  Miriam Miriam married R. Yehuda ben Natan (RIBAN) (b. 1065).
-  R. Tosafist Yom Tov of Falais (b. 1090 Falais, d. 1140)
-  Rachel married Eliezer Belle Asses JOCELIN.
Son: Rabbi Shemaya JOCELIN
Schlock Rock wrote a song about Rashi.
Who was born in France and sent to Yeshiva
studied in Worms and on his return
he founded a school and wrote commentaries?
Everyone knows it's Rashi.
Whose words are written under the Chumash,
the inside of every page of Talmud?
Whose three daughters married great scholars?
Everyone knows it's Rashi.
And Rashi was so concise, and in his own script did write.
And if you want to know why just look inside.
-  Jochaved BAT SALOMON (b. 1065 Troyes, France)
married Rabbi Hayashish Meir ben Samuel
(b. 1065 Mainz, Germany, d. 1135).
Jochaved remarried ???.
-  Ribam (Rabbi Isaac II ben Meir) (b. Ramerupt, d. Regensburg, Germany)
-  Hanah or Hanale(b. 1080) married
Shmuel ben Simcha.
-  Yaakov (Rabbenu Tam) (b. 1096 Ramerupt, France,
d. 9 Jun. 1171 Troyes, France) m.
Miriam bat Yosef. Yaakov remarried.
Thanks to their descendant  Benjamin ANGEL
Benjamin.Angel at cec.eu.int
for information on the descendants of RASHI.
(The bracketed numbers are references to his list of 1,612
descendants of RASHI.)
-  Shlomo
-  Miriam m. ??? son of Simcha ben Samuel.
- Rashbam (Shmuel) (b. 1080 Ramerupt, France, d. 1158)
-  Isaac BEN MEIR (RIBAM)
(b. Ramerupt, d. Regensburg, Germany). After his death, his
-  Isaac's daughter (b. Treves) married
Rabbi Jechiel TREVES, the posek (d. 1189 Paris) son of Rabbi Matityahu Hagadol TREVES (d. 1150).
-  Mosche TREVES, II (b. Treves, d. 1230 Paris)
-  Rabbi Porat Joseph TREVES (b. Treves)
-  Rabbi Matityahu TREVES (ASHKENAZI), II (b. Treves) married  the
Rabbi Yehuda of Paris (b. 1115) [son of Yom Tov (b. 1090, d. ca. 1140 Paris) the son of Miriam and Judah (b. 1065 Mainz, d. ca. 1105)
and the daughter (or maybe just descendant...)
Isaac BEN MEIR (RIBAM).
-  Rabbi Abraham (Avrahami) TREVES
-  Rabbi (TREVESIAN) Jochanan (Yahanan I) Ashkenazi
TREVES (b. Abt 1265 Treves, d. Worms, Germany). Left France between 1285 and 1314
during the expulsion of Jews by Philippe IV and settled in Germany
where he acquired the surname Ashkenazi.
-  Rabbi Joseph (Yosef V) Hagadol TZORFATI-TREVES
(b. 1305, d. 1350 or 1370).
President of Rabbinical Tribunal of Marseilles.
His wife was very educated and explained many passages of the talmud.
Their family was not required to wear the distinctive signs of Jews.
-  Chief Rabbi Matityahu TREVES V (b. 1325, d. 1387 Paris).
Chief Rabbi in France. President of
Rabbinical Court in Paris and France. He married the
daughter of Rabbi Samuel SPIRA =?= Menassier DE VESOUL.
- Khana (Vergentin) married Shmuel SHAPIRA .
Their son Shlomo SHAPIRA was the father of Peretz SHAPIRA (from whom the SHAPIRA
family descends) and Miriam who married Aharon LURIA (from whom the LURIA
family descends). Contact Jeffrey Mark PAULL firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yohanan TREIVISH (d. 1429) (father of Yosef TREIVISH (d. 1435), father of
Shmuel TREIVISH, father of Eliezer TREIVISH)
- daughter TREVES married Rabbi Raphael BALLIN. See below.
- Their daughter TREVES married Rabbi Raphael BALLIN.
They had a son Shimshon. (Contact: Dr. Jeffrey R. WOOLF email@example.com
who is a descendant of Rashi via the HEILPRIN's and the HELLER's.)
- unknown BALLIN
- unknown BALLIN
- Elias BALLIN
- Moses Elias BALLIN
- Elias Moses BALLIN (b. Worms, d. 27 March 1587 Worms)
- Eliezer Sussmann BALLIN (d. 1601 Worms)
- Samuel Abraham BALLIN (d. 4 April 1622 Worm), married Gutrad WORMS daughter of
- Frummet BALLIN (b. Worms, d. 26 Jan 1649 Frankfurt)
married Josef (Juda) Loeb OPPENHEIMER (d. 1655)
Note that Rabbi Jechiel LURIA also was a descendant of Rashi.
Noda b'Yehuda website for more information.
Information from David SOLOMON,
Sol2516171 at aol.com.
Daniel E. LOEB, eMail: firstname.lastname@example.org