Rabbi Haim HALBERSTAM
(1792 Tarngorod-1876) is the famous Rabbi Chaim HALBERSTAM, the Rebbe
of Sanz, Also known as "the Divrei Chaim" (after his work by that
name) who was antecedent to several Chassidic dynasties.
The Sanz Hassidim
have a Yichus document showing how they are
descended via the Maharal of Prague
from R. Yoseph I of Rome
and then back to King David.
married (1) Rachel
Feige FRANKEL-TEOMIM and they had eight children:
- Reitze HALBERSTAM m. 1855 Rabbi Mordechai Dov TWERSKI
(b. 20 Sep. 1839, d. 14 Sep. 1903)
the Hornisteipler Rebbe, the maternal great-grandson of both Rabbi Mordechai
TWERSKY of Chernobyl (and grandson of the Cherkasser Rav Yaakov Yisroel
TWERSKY and Devorah Leah SCHNEERSOHN) and Rabbi Dov Ber
SHNEURI , 2nd Lubavitcher Rebbe (son of Rabbi Shneur Zalman BORUCHOVITCH
of Liadi, author of the Tanya). The Hornisteipler Rebbe was also 1st cousin of
the Zhitomer Rav, Rabbi Schneur Zalman Mordechai SCHNEERSOHN.
- Chaya Malka TWERSKI (b. 14 Sep. 1852 m. Moshe GUTTERMAN
- Sterna TWERSKI (b. 25 June 1857, d. 20 Apr. 1924)
m. Nachum Zalman SCHNEERSOHN
- Sara Miriam TWERSKI
m. 1876 her half uncle
Shalom Eliezer HALBER
- Aaron Elimelech Shnieur Zalman TWERSKI (b. 1864, d. 29 Oct. 1923)
m. Rosa HOROWITZ
- Esther Hindel TWERSKI (b. 13 Dec. 1865,
d. 23 Feb. 1932)
m. Chaim Yeshaya SCHNEURSON (1864-1920)
- Shlomo Baruch SCHNEURSON m. Penina YODENFREUND
- Chaim SHEN-ORR
m. Zila SHUR.
Children: Shai Shlomo SHEN-ORR and
Tamar Pnina SHEN-ORR.
- Sheina SCHNEURSON m. Elimelech Munya PASHKOVITSKY.
Sons: Dan PASHKOVITSKY and Yigal PASHKOVITSKY.
- Chaim Moshe Zvi TWERSKY (d. 1933) m.
Margolit Batzion TWERSKY
Yocheved Rivka TWERSKY m. her cousin Elisha HALBERSTAM
- Benzion Yehuda Leib TWERSKY
(17.10867, d. 6 Jan. 1951 Chicago)
m. Rachel RABINOWITZ
- Miriam HALBERSTAM m. Moshe UNGER (buried Safed) son of R. Mordecai David
- Yuta HALBERSTAM m. R. Eliezer Jercham BARON son of Israel Isaac son
of R. Issachar Dov of Radewitz.
- Sarah Hinda BARON m.
Pesach Dovid MILLER (b. 1873) son of
Shabsi Yitzchok MILLER of Bukowsko, Poland.
Contact: Moishe MILLER
MILLER (b. 1890)
- Birtchu MILLER
- Yitta MILLER
- Menachem Mendel BARON m. Frimet RUBIN
- Rabbi Ezekial Shraga HALBERSTAM (b. 1813, d.
1896 Sieniawa), Rebbe of Shineva
Rabbi David HALBERSTAM, the Kr'Shanover Rav (b. 1821, d. 1894 Keshaov), first
married (1) Achsah.
David HALBERSTAM remarried (2) Leah Zissah ZINZ.
- Meir Nathan HALBERSTAM (d. Bobov) m. Beila HOROWITZ.
Did not become a rebbe as he died during a plague in Sanz as a young man.
- Rabbi Aaron (Aharon) HALBERSTAM (b. 1824, d. 1903 Sanz)
who succeeded his father as Rebbe of Sanz.
He married Channah Elke WEINBERGER.
- Rabbi Boruch HALBERSTAM (b. 1826, d. 1906 Gorlice), the Rebbe of Gorlitz,
first married Pesel TEITELBAUM (d. 1884).
Baruch HALBERSTAM remarried (2) .. SHAPIRO.
They had no children.
- Eilsha HALBERSTAM
m. his cousin
Yocheved Rivka TWERSKI (1869-1940)
- Shalom HALBERSTAM m. TEITELBAUM
- Jocheved Rebecca HALBERSTAM
m. Aryey Leib TEITELBAUM (d. 1921 Berlin).
- Pesel TEITELBAUM m. Naftali TEITELBAUM
- Miriam TEITELBAUM m. Phineas Joseph DACHNER
- Frieda DACHNER m. Moses Aryey FREUND
- Sinai DACHNER
- Jerucham DACHNER
- DovBeer DACHNER
- Jacob Shimon DACHNER.
Children: Israel DACHNER; Jocheved DACHNER
- Benjamin HALBERSTAM (1891-1961) m. Alta Dreizel EPSTEIN
- Jacob Leib HALBERSTAM (b. 1928) m. Sarah Leah PASTERNAK
- Reizel HALBERSTAM m. (1) Moses EICHENSTEIN
Reizel HALBERSTAM remarried (2) Phineas CHODOROV
Reizel HALBERSTAM remarried (3) Judah Ari Leib ALTER
- Moses HALBERSTAM (1850-1903)
m. his cousin the
daughter of Aaron HALBERSTAM
- Channah HALBERSTAM (1853-1916) m. Moses Judah Leib SPIRA
- Zvi Hirsch HALBERSTAM (b. ~1858, d. 1917) first
Zvi Hirsch HALBERSTAM remarried (2) 1902 Chaja Mindel SHAPIRO or SPIRA
daughter of Esther EISENBERG and Meir Meshullam SPIRA (1840-1920)
son of Shmuel SPIRA (d. 1860)
See record  on MILLER Family Tree
for more information on Chaja Mindel SPIRA.
Contact: Moishe MILLER
- Rabbi Yekusiel Yehuda HALBERSTAM (b. 1904)
incredible Sanz-Klausenberger Rebbe (after release from concentration camp, he
hit the ground running, and shortly started several yeshivas and kosher kitchens
in numerous DP camps, and attracted many new chassidim to him from the wandering
and confused holocaust survivors . Then he came to America founded yeshivasand
communities in both Brooklyn,NY and Union City, NJ, then moved to Israel where
he established a large community in Netanya, where he established numerous
institutions including, Yeshivos, Girls schools, an Orphanage, a major Medical
Center [Laniado-Sanz Medical Center] which serves a larger population than any
other individual hospital in Israel, a nusring school, a geriatric center and
more.) The Sanz-Klausenberger Rebbe was succeeded by both of his sons.
He first married TEITELBAUM.
Jekutiel Judah HALBERSTAM remarried (2) Chaya Nechama UNGER
Contact: Logan J. KLEINWAKS
- Leah HALBERSTAM m. Solomon GOLDMAN
- Rabbi Tzvi Elimelech HALBERSTAM (b. 1953) succeeded
his father as Sanz-Klausenberger Rebbe in Netanya, Israel.
Chaya Sarah UNSDORFER.
Sons: Ezekial Shraga Baruch HALBERSTAM (b. 1972);
Joseph Moses Dov HALBERSTAM (b. 1974)
- Rabbi Shmuel Dovid HALBERSTAM succeeded his father
as Sanz-Klausenberger Rebbe in Boro Park, Brooklyn, New York.
He m. Zipporah WEIDER
- Sinai HALBERSTAM (1869-1941)
Then Rabbi Haim HALBERSTAM
remarried (2) his first wife's sister
Then Haim HALBERSTAM married his third wife Rachel UNGER
and they had six children:
- Freidel HALBERSTAM m.
Rabbi Eleazar Halevi ROSENFELD
(b. 10 Apr. 1862 Kaminka), the son of Rabbi Yehoshua, the
son of Rabbi Sholem. (See
his biography for more information.)
- Nechama HALBERSTAM m. Isaac Tuvia RUBIN
- Gitche HALBERSTAM m. Bezalel Joshua MOSKOWITZ (d. 1910 Galina) son of R.
Jehiel Michal of Glogow.
- Tilly HALBERSTAM m. Aaron HOROWITZ (1840-1931)
- Dvora HOROWITZ m. Berish HALPERN
- Chaya Tilla HALPERN m. Joelish THUMIN
- David THUMIN (b. 1932) m. Sheila BECKER.
Daughters: Dinah THUMIN; Dveorah THUMIN;
Rivke Beila THUMIN
- Nechama Naomi THUMIN (b. 1945) m. Jack ACKERMAN.
Children: Rivke Rachel ACKERMAN;
Meir Mark ACKERMAN; Berish Isaachar Dov ACKERMAN
- Jonathan THUMIN (b. 1947) m. Rivke MANNHEIMER
- Shalom Eliezer HALBERSTAM (b. 1862, d. 1944
married his half niece
Sara Miriam TWERSKI (1861-1942)
- Isaac Isaiah HALBERSTAM (b. 1864, d. 1943 Checkoyv)
- Hena HALBERSTAM
m. her cousinís son
Menachem Mendel HALBERSTAM
- Jacob Zvi HALBERSTAM
m. his cousin Chaya Sarah ROSENFELD
- Haim HALBERSTAM (1882-1956)
Ezekial Shraga HALBERSTAM
(b. 1905) m. the daughter of his cousin Rebecca Beila HALBERSTAM.
See Nor the Moon by Night
by Devora GLIKSMAN.
- Solomon HALBERSTAM (b. 1927, d. 1930).
- Yaakov Yisrael (Yankel) HALBERSTAM. Source:
the Moon by Night
- Esther Ratza HALBERSTAM (b. 1931) m.
Ari Aaron NUSSBAUM.
- Rai Reizel Dvorah NUSSBAUM m. Moshe ADLER
- Rebbecca Rivka Beila ADLER m. Aaron KRASNER.
Son: Eli KRASNER, Uriel Dov KRASNER
- David ADLER
- Sara ADLER
- Aviva ADLER
- Sharon Sarah Miriam NUSSBAUM m. Robert SILVERSTEIN.
Children: Naftali SILBERSTEIN, Zvi SILBERSTEIN, Yair SILBERSTEIN
- Haskell Yechezkel Shraga Hillel NUSSBAUM m. Sharon KASDEN
- Yaakov Yisroel Yankel HALBERSTAM (b. 1935)
Yaakov Yisroel Yankel HALBERSTAM (b. 1935) remarried 1970
Esther Leah HERSKOWITZ
- Bracha HALBERSTAM married with three children
- Miriam Rochel HALBERSTAM
m. (1994) Pesach Shmuel GROSS.
Children: Nechemiah GROSS , Esther Leah Chaya GROSS , Hadassah Gruna GROSS, Yitzchok Yeshaya
GROSS, Chana Tryna GROSS, Chaim Shlomo GROSS, Rivka Beila GROSS,
- Beenzion Yechezkeel Shraga HALBERSTAM m. (1995) Fradel SPREI. Children:
Esther Leah HALBERSTAM, Faiga HALBERSTAM, Chaim Dovid HALBERSTAM
- Chaya Soro HALBERSTAM m. (2002) Dovid GESTETNER.
Children: Chaim Yechezkel Shraga GESTETNER,
Moshe Yehuda Eliyahu GESTETNER,
Toiba Nirel Leah GESTETNER
Information on this page contributed by
Alisa SHARON alisa_Sharon at yahoo.com,
Moishe MILLER email@example.com and Rachel
Daniel E. LOEB, eMail: