Akiva ben (Harav) Moshe GINS
(b. 8 Nov. 1761 Eisenstadt, Austria,
d. 12 Oct. or 23 Sept. 1837 Posen, Poland),
aka "Gaon of Posen",
aka "Akiva the Younger".
Rabbi Akiva Eiger was born Akiva Ginz but went by Eiger out of reverence
to his maternal grandfather.
the rabbi in Märkisch Friedland, Westpreußen (Prussia)
between 1791 and 1815. He then became the Chief Rabbi in Posen until 1837.
Akiva married twice.
He first married
(b. 1763 Lissa, Poland, d. 1796 Posen, Poland)
Their children used mostly their grandmother's surname and
not their fathers.
Akiva was named after his maternal Grandfather
who was the Rabbi in Pressburg,
Slovakia. The grandfather was a scholar of some note
and respected by the
Worldwide Jewish Community.
- Abraham (Avraham Brawitch) Ben Akiva EGER
(b. 1781 Lissa, Poland, d. 1853 Rogasen, Poland)
m. Haja YOCHEVED (d. 1855 Posen)
- Rabbi Solomon (Shlomo) EGER (b. 1785/6 Lisa, d. 1852 Posen)
married (1801) Golda HIRSCHENSOHN.
Remarried (1815) ??? ZENSYMINER (b. 1798).
- Scheindel EGER (b. 1784 or 1788 Lissa, d. 1797 Bromberg)
married Rabbi Moshe Moritz Heinrich DAVIDSOHN
(b. Lissa, d. before 1837 Bromberg).
- Sorel Sara EGER,
married twice, many children
Akiba Eger remarried (1796) the niece of his first wife
Brendel HaLevy FEIBELMAN
(b. 1780 Samter or Leszno [Lissa], d. 1836 Posen).
Contact: Orit LAVI
orit at olavi.co.il
brother Rabbi Shimon HALEVI.
According to Orit's sources
Brendel's place of birth is indicated as Leszno (Lissa).
She has no primary source confirming this fact;
but according to her father's biography,
it seems that he moved to Szamotuly (Samter) only in the
early 1800s, when he was nominated as Rabbi there.
[If you read Hebrew, the details and info sources are
described at http://tinyurl.com/yp3c9k].
- Moses EGER (b. 1799, d. 1879 Warsaw)
m. Gitel GOLDREICH (b. 1799)
- Benjamin Wolf EGER, (1805-1890 Berlin) m. Basha FINKELSTEIN
(b. Johannisburg d. 1890? Berlin)
- Hadassah EGER, (b. 1806 -before 1837 Brody) m.
R. Meir ROSANES
(d. 1878 Brody). He remarried his wife's sister Beile EGER.
- Feidelmann EGER, (1807-1808 M. Friedland)
- Freide (Friedche) EGER, (b. Posen d. 1877 Lublin) m. R. Simcha Ephraim Fishel GRODSTEIN (b. Lublin d. 1881 Jerusalem)
- Yehoshua GRODSTEIN (b. Lublin d. Wilna) married
Sara Lieba (b. Danzig d. Wilna)
- Yissachar Ber GRODSTEIN (Wilna)
- Henrietta Gittel Akiva EGER, (b. 1808 or 1811 according to
EGER family book, d. 5 May 1891 Breslau)
married (1826) Rabbi Samuel (Shmuel) KORNFELD (b. 1810 Brody, d. 1875 Breslau). They lived in Posen.
- Martin Mandel KORNFELD
(b. 17 April 1829 Posen, d. 23 Aug. 1896 Berlin)
married (5 May 1856) Jenny Lissner (b. about 1833).
An article that appeared in the Kronika Miasta Poznania, No. 1 of 2009,
subtitled "Poznańscy Żydzi II."
The name of the article is Karolczak, Waldemar,
"Martin i Wilhelm Kornfeldowie i ich artystyczne pasje," pp. 84-101, with endnotes, pp. 100-101.
The article contains much biographical information on the entire family, and even a photograph
of the resident cards for Martin's entire family in Posen (from the Poznań archives) and
an illustration of a fragment of Wilhelm's gravestone (in German).
- Eugene Max A. KORNFELD
(b. 29 Jan. 1857 Posen, d. 22 April 1902 Berlin)
m. Elise AVELLIS (b. 26 June 1867 Berlin, d. Berlin)
- Charlotte Henrietta KORNFELD
(b. 1898 Berlin, d. U.S.A.)
m. Fritz Warner SCHLESINGER (b. 1898 Berlin, d. U.S.A.)
- Thomas Otto SCHLESINGER m.
- Rebekka Rivka EGER, (1812-1884 or 1889 [according to
EGER family book\ Dubnow) m. R. Shmuel BIRNBAUM
(1810 Pilz-1887 Dubnow)
- Isaak Loeb EGER (d. 1871) m. Feigel FLATOW
- Samuel Yaacov EGER (b. 1818 Posen d. Minsk) m. Clara COHEN.
- Simha Bunim EGER (b. 1821 Posen, d.1867 Brzezany) m.
Golda SILVER (d. 1889 Brzezany)
- Edel Hudel EGER (b. 1858 Brzezany d. 1932 Cracow)
married Yona LIEBERMANN (Brzezany).
Daughter: Feige Hene Helene LIEBERMANN
(b. 1878 Brzezany d. 1930 Cracow)
married Ignatz Itzchak KOHANE (b. 1875 Cracow d. 1955 Tel-Aviv)
- Dr. Akiva KOHANE (b. 1911 Cracow, d. 1995 Boston)
m. Yehudit ZIMMMERMANN (b. 1927 Poland).
Children: Dr. Itzhak Shnuel KOHANE (b. 1960 Geneva);
Dr. Daniel Salomon KOHANE (b. 1962 Geneva)
- Abraham Yona KOHANE (b. 1916 Cracow, d. 1944)
m. Raya ASHKENAZY
(b. 1916 Cracow, d. 1994 Tel Aviv)
- Sara LIEBERMANN (b. 1851 Brzezany d. 1933 Cracow) married
Son: Shalom HOROWITZ (b. 1880 Cracow
d. 1955/6 Jerusalem)
- Basya EGER married Wolf Silber BERZANY.
- Manale BERZANY married Bina Bincha ADLER
daughter of Chaje and
Yehudah Yona HASS (b. Stanislow).
- Akiva Moshe SILVER (b. Gateshead)
m. Rachel Dvora CARMEL (b. Dobrzhyn, Poland,
d. Liverpool, United Kingdom)
- Menachem (Manale, Manny) SILVER (b. Gateshead, England)
(b. Hoffheiem-in-Unterfranken, Wurzburg, Bayern/Bavaria, Germany).
- Rabbi Shimon SILVER firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bina SILVER
- Samuel (Shmuel) A. SILVER email@example.com
- Yitzchok SILVER
- Baruch David SILVER
- Rebeka (Riwka) EGER
- Gutel (Genia) EGER
- Beile EGER. (1822 Posen- d. 1899 Brody) m. her sister's husband
R. Meir ROSANES
(d. 1878 Brody).
- Prof. L. ROSANES (b. Brody, d. Breslau)
- David EGER, (1824-1877 Breslau)
- Jette EGER (b. 1827 Popsen, d. 1881 Krotoschin) m.
Shimon BERLINER (b. 1815, d. 1884 Krotoschin)
- Jacob BERLINER.
- Alfred BERLINER (d. 1939) married Martha KRITOVSKI.
Son: Akiva Zvi BERLINER (b. 1922)
- Albert BERLINER (b. 1861 Berlin).
Sons: Arnold BERLINER, Moritz BERLINER, Schmuel BERLINER
- Rodisch EGER (b. between 1800 and 1804 in Markisch-Friedland, Ostrava, d.
12 Aug. 1849 Wollstein, buried Breslau) m. Wolf SCHIFF (d. Breslau, Wroclaw) merchant.
SCHIFF (b. 21 Mar. 1824 Wollstein, Wolsztyn, d. 23 Apr. 1897 Breslau,
m. (24 Jan. 1853 Gleiwitz)
Natalie SCHLESINGER (b. 6 Oct. 1829 Gleiwitz, d. 12 Apr. 1901 Breslau,
- Yehoshua SCHIFF married Johanna ORGLER
- Arthur SCHIFF
- Fanny SCHIFF married Schimon Bernhard LEVY (b. around 1844, d. 1891 Breslau).
Child: Dorit LEVY
- Jenny SCHIFF married Jacob LAPPE
- Max SCHIFF
(b. 9 Apr. 1829 Breslau, Wroclaw, d. 19 Aug. 1903 Vienna)
m. ((27 Nov. 1859 Vienna)
Carolina SCHLESINGER (b. 1839 Budapest, d. 28 Apr. 1908 Vienna)
- John SCHIFF (b. 1825 Breslau, d. 24 July 1899 Tullnerbach). Possibly co-owner of
Gaivapol textile firm with brother.Max SCHIFF. John married (27 Nov. 1859) Carolina
(b. 1839 Budapest, d. 28 Apr. 1908 Vienna)
- Walter SCHIFF (b. 6 May 1866 Vienna, d. 2 Feb. 1870 Vienna)
- Dr. Felix SCHIFF (b. 1867, d. around 25 Aug. 1932 Vienna) chemist,
married Lisette Emma KANITZ.
- Hildegard SCHIFF married Robert KARPLUS
- Johannes SCHIFF
- Walter SCHIFF
- Robert SCHIFF (b. 17 Jan. 1869 Vienna, d. 1935 Vienna) artist/painter,
married (30 Sep. 1897 Vienna)
Regina EIBENSCHUTZ (b. 1869, d. 1956) actress.
- Lotte SCHIFF
- Friedrich Hermann SCHIFF (b. 1908, d. 1968 Vienna), artist/caricaturist,
married Elisabeth KAMPF. Daughter: Marietta SCHIFF.
- Albert SCHIFF (b. 21 May 1870 Vienna, d. 26 Feb. 1871 Vienna)
- Philip SCHIFF
- daughter SCHIFF married Karl SINZHEIMER
Also: A daughter Sheindl who was a widow living in
Bramburg in 1838.
According to Arie OLEWSKI's records
one of Rabbi Akiva EGER's great-granddaughters (appearently
married Rabbi Rafael OLEWSKI, who was the rabbi of Strykow (Poland) in 1865
Information on this page contributed by David Peter John LEWIN davidlewin at btinternet.com,
Alisa SHARON alisa_Sharon at yahoo.com,
Julien Jean-Claude EGER
Gary PALGON GMPalgon at Yahoo.com and
is related to Rabbi Akiva EGER.
Daniel E. LOEB, eMail: