Rabbi David HASSINE, I
Rabbi David HASSINE was born in Meknes, Morocco and died around 1728 in Meknes.
Rabbi David HASSINE had two children: Rabbi Abraham HASSINE (b. Meknes, d. after 1741 Meknes) and
Rabbi Aharon HASSINE.
Rabbi Aharon HASSINE, I
Rabbi Aharon HASSINE (b. Meknes, d. after 1762 Meknes) has
one son: Rabbi David HASSINE.
Rabbi David HASSINE was considered the greatest Moroccan Jewish poet.
Tehile Le David (Hymn of David), a book of his Piyyutim, was published in Israel 1999
(Hebrew and French) by Prof. Andre ELBAZ of Bar-Ilan University.
Towards the end of 1746 or the beginning of 1747,
Rabbi David HASSINE (b. 1727 Meknes,
d. 30 June 1792 Meknes) married the eldest daughter of his master, the Great Rabbi Mordechai BERDUGO (Ha'MarBitz)
and Rachel BERDUGO. This marriage was a great honor bestowed on the MarBitz's
favorite disciple and united two of the most influential rabbinical families of Meknes.
Rabbi David HASSINE and Rachel BERDUGO had a son and nine daughters:
- daughter HASSINE married Rabbi Jacob BERDUGO.
Her father, Rabbi David HASSINE was reading the portion of the torah about the
daughters of Het (8 in Hebrew), but purposely made a mistake in the reading.
Rabbi Jacob BERDUGO corrected "Het, not Tet". HASSINE replied
"Certainly, if Rabbi Jacob takes one."
- Rabbi Aharon HASSINE, II (b. 6 Dec. 1747, d. 11 June 1817)
married his cousin
the eldest daughter of Rabbi Yekoutiel BERDUGO (founder of branch C
of the BERDUGO family).
Rabbi Aharon HASSINE, II was head of the Hevra Kaddisha.
His brother-in-law Ya'aqov BERDUGO wrote
Rabbi Aharon HASSINE, II's elogy:
"Homme très aimable, responsable de plusieurs oeuvres pieuses, plaisant à Dieu et aux hommes, chantre à la voix agréable, il réjouissait les nouveaux mariés, rendait visite aux malades, consolait les familles en deuil et enterrait les morts. Il était aimé au Ciel, et agréable ici-bas"
- Rabbi David HASSINE, III (b. around 1770 Meknes, d. after 1833 Meknes)
- Aharon HASSINE, III (b. around 1795 Meknes, d. around 1865 Meknes)
- Yoel HASSINE (b. Meknes, d. Meknes)
- Rabbi Abraham HASSINE, II (b. around 1810 Meknes, d. around 1902 Meknes)
m. (Meknes) Reina BENCHETRIT (b. around 1820, d. around 1905 Meknes).
Rabbi Abraham HASSINE, II was Rabbi and Dayan in Meknes.
- Raphael HASSINE (b. before 1860, d. around 1926 Meknes)
- Rabbi Aharon HASSINE, IV (b. around 1891 Meknes, d. around
- Zohara HASSINE (b. around 1900 Meknes, d. after 1975
Meknes) married Barouch TOLEDANO.
- Simha HASSINE
- Solika HASSINE (b. around 1912)
- Yocheved HASSINE (b. around 1868 Meknes,
d.around 1935 Meknes) married (around 1883 Meknes)
Daniel TOLEDANO son of Abraham TOLEDANO and
- Rabbi David MEKNES, IV (b. around 1870 Meknes, d. around 1945
Meknes) married (Meknes) Esther.
- Mahita HASSINE (b. around 1875 Meknes, d. around 1950 Meknes)
- Myriam HASSINE (b. around 1880 Meknes, d. Israel)
married Rabbi Abraham TOLEDANO.
- Rac'hel HASSINE (b. around 1890 Meknes, d. after 1960 Rabat, Morocco)
m. Rabbi Shemouel ABEHSERA.
- Ordouenia HASSINE (b. Meknes, d. Meknes)
- Daughter HASSINE (b. Meknes, d. after 1810 Meknes)
married Benyamine ELKHIEF son of Rabbi Yahia ELKHIEF and the youngest daughter
of Great Rabbi Moshe BERDUGO.
- Yahia ELKHIEF, II (b. 1764 Meknes, d. 1788 Morocco)
- Yahia ELKHIEF, III (b. after death of his father in 1788,
d. 1843 Meknes)
- Moshe ELKHIEF (b. Meknes, d. Meknes)
- seven other daughters HASSINE
Information on this page from Raphael COHEN
cohen.raphael at wanadoo.fr.
Daniel E. LOEB,